lovely goose chase

Monday, March 13th, 2017 11:22 pm
darkoshi: (Default)
I finally figured out that the problem I've been debugging for the last 2 days, was only happening due to me having set a breakpoint in a certain place. One module was writing data to a cache. When another module tried to read the data, it wasn't found. The cache is configured with a "timeToLive" value of 180 seconds (which was unbeknownst to me before, but NOW I KNOW). My breakpoint was causing the data to expire before it could be read, which then caused other errors.

It makes perfect sense now. Back when this problem started happening, it didn't make any sense at all. What I was testing had been working fine before, and then it started getting these strange unexpected errors for no discernible reason.

The ironic part is that I had set the breakpoint in order to change some data on a database row, in order to force an error, as I was trying to test the module's error handling. But then, instead of getting the expected error, I started getting unexpected errors, even when I didn't change the row. At least all this did allow me to find and fix some other problems with the error handling.

August 2017

S M T W T F S
  1234 5
6789101112
13 1415 16 1718 19
20 212223242526
2728293031  

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags